Subscribe to the Prosperous Coach Podcast
This will be a super short episode. And it’s part of the Smart Mindsets & Habits series.
I feel so honored that when I work with my clients I get to see them shift their mindset in ways that will help them succeed faster at this game called entrepreneurship.
By the way, thinking of building your coaching business as a game is one way to take the pressure off and enjoy the journey.
So the specific mindset I’m digging into today is about OWNING your right:
- Own your right to be in business for yourself
- Own your right to earn well
- Own your right to live the life you want
That may sound odd. Let me explain.
My Early Coaching Business Was An Albatross
When I was new to my own coaching business I treated myself like I didn’t deserve to be in business, like I didn’t deserve to earn well and have the life I want. Here’s what I did:
- I overcomplicated my business model by offering too many options.
- I undervalued myself and charged way too little to sustain my business.
- I over-delivered in every way.
- I was too accommodating with my schedule.
- I allowed late payments.
- Ultimately, I didn’t think through what I wanted and plot a strategic course to get there.
Bottom line … I was operating unconsciously in my coaching business. I was driven by a mindset that doesn’t go well with being the CEO of a business. Big mistake.
A few years in, I realized that I had created a monster — a business that was complex, running me ragged and paying me poorly.
The Big Takeaway for Coaches
So here’s the secret I want you to come away with from this episode … ACT AS IF
Act as if you are already in high demand.
There are 7 ways I can think of that will help you do this:
- First decide what you want your life to be like.
- Strategize every step of your business development to fit that vision.
- Only offer times on your schedule that you truly want to work.
- Only offer exactly what you want to offer and not what you think you should offer.
- Create a low overhead, easy to manage business.
- Treat yourself with the respect you want your colleagues, prospects and clients to have for you.
- Charge prices that will help you reach your financial goals right NOW!
Imagine the difference between a business where you act like you deserve all the perks that come with being your own boss and a business where you act like you don’t deserve that.
I’m not saying you need to be mercenary. Simply honor yourself. Do what is right for you.
Is it a bit scary to charge for your services in a way that pays you well.
I shared in Episode 58 that you can plan for profit from day 1 and in Episode 60 how to strategically price your services. When you charge prices that feel like a big investment to your clients they will invest energetically into their own growth. It’s a win – win. Whereas charging low fees is a lose – lose.
You don’t want to lose. You don’t want your clients to lose. OWN your right to be successful at your coaching business.
It’s time to build this muscle … how will you ACT AS IF you deserve what you want today?
In the Next Episode: Overwhelm is a Bad Habit Coaches Need to Break Now