If you’re determined to do good in the world while doing well financially, then it’s worth asking whether you should choose a coaching niche or not. There are some very compelling reasons why you’d want to niche as well as a few circumstances where niching would not be right for you. I’ll cover both in this post.
In the “pro” column, targeting a viable coaching niche opens wide the doors of opportunity and prosperity by helping you:
- Solidify your brand.
- Earn more by specializing.
- Become well known quickly.
- Break through filters and capture more attention.
- Get more of the right kind of referrals.
- Build “social proof” with colleagues and future clients.
- Focus and leverage everything you do so you can work less.
- Stand out in the crowd of service providers.
- Positively impact a unique group of people.
Since the nineties, when coaching became a profession and consulting of all types burgeoned, there are more solopreneurs in the world than ever before. That means niching is more of an advantage than it used to be. In fact, it’s nearly impossible to get your share of attention from potential clients if you don’t stand out strongly in some way. Your niche helps you stand out in the most complete and long lasting way.
But for some, choosing a viable coaching niche is like finding a needle in a haystack. And then, what if it doesn’t work out? All that time is wasted.
Or is it?
The truth is that time you put into understanding your own zone of brilliance and what your ideal clients really want from you is highly beneficial and can be leveraged into great results. And if you’re moving forward on a coaching niche, you’re a lot more likely to find the sweet spot in your business than if you resist it altogether.
In the “con” column, choosing a coaching niche can feel a bit messy, like so many meaningful things in life. You definitely won’t profit from choosing a niche at this point if:
- You’re a well known icon in print or on stage.
- You always have a wait list of clients who pay you well.
- You’ve already got a huge leads list of people that trust you professionally.
- OR, you are completely niche-resistant — the #1 reason why niching doesn’t work out.
7 Powerful Questions to Help You Break Through the Resistance
If your emergency brake is full on when it comes to choosing a coaching niche, go through this set of questions to take the brakes off your success:
When you think about choosing a coaching niche, what are you most afraid of?
What’s the worst possible outcome you could have if you chose a niche?
Is that much different than what you are experiencing right now?
What steps could you take to help you avoid the worst possible outcome?
What are the likely outcomes of choosing a coaching niche?
What is it costing you NOT to choose a viable niche of your own?
What are you ready to claim for yourself right now?
My first coach used to say “whatever you resist persists” meaning that the pain we feel when we resist taking an action or making a decision is far worse than what will come of that action. And that’s an understatement.
3 Ways to Niche and 1 Better Way
- Your Passion — There are some for whom “do what you love and the money will follow” works like a charm. This is the way of the ICON — the person who has a unique message that strikes a resonant chord with the masses. Public speaking and book tours are the icon’s route to a fulfilling biz.
- Your Core Wound — Your greatest lesson in life may be the best way to niche. If you’ve found your way around the spiral of life and come out with wisdom for the rest of us, polish up your signature system and get it out there!
- Your Skills or Expertise — If you’ve got depth of expertise or highly sought after skills that inspire investment, leverage those into a niche for yourself.
- All of the Above + a Unique Tribe — The best way to niche includes all of the above plus a unique, easy-to-find target audience that’s eager to evolve and motivated to invest.
If you’d like to hear more about this last way to choose a coaching niche which combines your passions, life lessons and skills with a unique tribe that you can champion, check out my content rich training Your Highly Profitable Niche .
Below, share what niche you’re pursuing right now and if it’s working well for you. I’m collecting a list of niches/target audiences that are highly profitable. Also share any questions you have about how to choose a niche and I’ll answer them personally here. And, finally, TEST YOUR COACHING NICHE here.